Friday, October 3, 2008

The Veep Deeb

I watched the vice-presidential debate last night. Like many Americans, I was partially expecting to see a Palin train wreck. That didn't happen. She sounded incredibly scripted, talked in circles, offered little or no specifics or substance, and didn't answer many of the questions she was given, staying only on her talking points, but at least she kept her cool. Reading online responses to the debate, many people seem to consider that a victory. Really? Were your expectations that low? Were you actually listening to the questions asked and responses she gave? She even prefaced her inability to articulate responses by stating that she wouldn't answer some questions asked by the moderator. She may as well have said, "I'm only prepared for certain questions, so if you ask me one for which I'm not prepared, I'll retreat back to one of my scripted answers for a different question." Followed by a wink.
The biggest surprise of the night for me was Joe Biden. When Obama selected him as his running mate, I looked him up. He seemed like a strong enough choice, although it was relatively unimportant to me. But I really haven't thought much about Biden since the DNC. Last night, he started fine. Unimpressive, but fine. He got a little repetitive (like Palin) and bogged down in details (the opposite of Palin), but he didn't really grab my attention. About halfway through the debate, though, he hit his stride. He sounded like he was speaking from experience and the heart, and really drove some points home. By the end of the debate, I was really impressed with him. I think he compliments Obama well, and will give sound advice without trying to control the White House.
Speaking of which, I was shocked to hear that Palin wants to expand the powers of the vice-presidency. Especially for someone who, not long ago, didn't know what the vice president does. After 8 years of Cheney pulling Bush's strings and running the show, do we need more power in that office? Particularly if McCain is elected, and Palin is trying to wield that power?
So the big question still remains: Did she convince me that she would be able to handle the vice-presidency or, heaven forbid, the presidency should something happen to McCain? Absolutely not. Her ability to memorize and spew a script ad nauseum is no indication that she has any grasp of the issues or any substance. Her off-script moments in the interview with Katie Couric are jaw-dropping...and not in a good way. Plus, she says "nukular." I don't think I can take someone else in the White House who can't pronounce nuclear. The prospect of President Palin is still very frightening to me, and for reasons far deeper than mispronunciation. I'm surprised that it isn't frightening to more Americans. But on the bright side, I won at Palin bingo!

No comments: