Tuesday, June 3, 2008

4'33" Revisited

Why are they still making bonus tracks? Even with iTunes and the digital music revoultion, I still prefer to buy the CD. I like having the complete album and listening to it as a whole, complete with liner notes (not to mention the higher audio quality). But the bonus track thing is getting old. I'm not talking about an extra track that's not on the back of the CD case. I'm talking about when they have ten (or more) minutes of silence after the last regular song, followed by an additional tune, sometimes only a minute or so in length. Sometimes it's not even a song, but the band members joking around or making weird noises. Even worse is when they have a bonus music video or other non-audio information as an extra track on the CD, where you're waiting through 30 minutes of silence for nothing. Surely there's a better way to include that extra information. Of the six CDs currenty in my car, four of them have a bonus track of some sort. That's a lot of silence to have to sit through while you're driving. I don't usually even bother waiting to find out if there is any bonus music anymore. If I hear more than 10 seconds of silence, I'm on to the next CD. It's not a concert, and I don't expect an encore. So bands, producers, and music studios take note - NO MORE BONUS TRACKS!

No comments: